Wednesday, April 23, 2008

It works! Almost.


The blog worked.

I decided to write a song last night to post here, to see what I could write and record quickly in the interest of this project. So the blog worked, in it's way.

But instead of writing, I doodled some ideas on the piano, started to record it, and couldn't figure out how to get the drum track to record. I ended up spending two hours, and staying up late, trying to figure out how to do what should be the most basic thing in home recording. I'm a MIDItard.

The most creative thing I've done since the last entry:
Tried to write a song. Also, came up with a 1950's style one liner. Only 70% of the people I said it to actually got it, and an even smaller number thought it was funny at all, but one person really laughed hard:

When they started up the very first train, I wonder if anyone said 'That sounds like a tornado.'

Do you get that? Let's move on.

The least creative thing I've done since the last entry:
Spent two hours trying to record a MIDI VST drum machine instead of moving on and writing the damn song.

Stuff that helped:
A snipet of a Lucinda Williams song on the radio made me want to write something really simple and honest, the opposite of the excesses of "Everlasting Happiness."

Stuff that hindered:
Frickin' Groove Agent drum machine. Lost that "really simple" part pretty quick.

Current project:
I'm going to write that song. Damn it.

Next project:
I want to work on that collaboration I mentioned, or at least discuss it with the owner of the idea. But I need to read Godot first.

Guitar?:
Nope.

What I want to be reading these days:
Still Waiting for Godot. Also, as part of a post mini-mid-life-crisis attempt to read great books, The Brothers Karamazov. Seriously.

What I'm actually reading these days:
Over Cheerios this morning: Matt Taibi's undercover report on the Christian Right in the new Rolling Stone. Last night I read four pages of Karamazov. You know what? I think it might be kinda funny.

NOTE: I am the first person ever who has put off reading Waiting for Godot by reading The Brothers Karamazov. You must be very impressed. The fact that I knew I would be reporting this had no effect whatsoever.

I recommend:

1 comment:

Numb_skull said...

I have never figured out how you find this stuff.....

Sorry for the late comment, but I just now noticed that my spam guard had caught your email. Let's assume that was rules-based and not an actual evaluation.