Thursday, May 29, 2008

Mail

Two letters of note:

In response to this post about finding free time for creative pursuits, the friend who first raised this issue responded:

Angry? Nah. Tired ? Yes! Envious ? Maybe a little. I enjoy creative stuff. I'm just too worn out to do much about it. Of course I could make big changes in my lifestyle-but I think I'm where God wants me to be-so I thank Him for people like you who have some sanity and time to make music and jokes for people like me to read, listen to and enjoy. I've finally come to realize that I don't have a "normal"-maybe "usual is a better term-life style, but I have to yet to learn how to be totally thankful for what I have, instead of comparing my life to others, and noting where mine lacks. Yes, Dead Lennie, this blog thing really does make one think doesn't it ?
From: "the friend who gave you permission to publish my e-mail."

And a note from the artist whose painting inspired the song and post Ring. Nobody's Home.

Great to hear from you!

Wow. I can't tell you how strange this is. I was thinking about that exchange- and the song- literally within the last two weeks. I think about it often- I was really moved and flattered by the song, and, indeed, have kept that old Maxell tape with me through my various and numerous moves around the country. It is an old tape- so your timing is great! It really was those amazing, unique exchanges at [The School] that made my experience there so special. I don't think alums (like me) communicate that back nearly enough.

I was a studio art major at Williams, and have kept up drawing and painting along the way. After college I lived in New York for a bit, then Boston, then came out here for grad school in business. I am now done with school and my wife and I stuck around in San Francisco. I work up in Napa for a wine company in "innovations", which means launching new brands. It is pretty creative and keeps my appetite for creativity... well, at least partially satisfied... Working on that.

Anyway, thank you so much for passing that along. It was a great way to reconnect with that experience, the painting, and great to hear from you. And I love that song!

I hope you continue writing songs. It meant a lot as a student to see teachers like you and Mr. [M] who were passionate about the arts, and gave me a lot to look up to...

I hope this finds you well, and I will be sure to swing by next time I am in town.

Thanks again,

[P]

No comments: