Thursday, February 11, 2010

Joan Benoit Samuelson

As part of an amazing lecture series, this lady came to our school today:


I went last night to hear her speak, and heard her again today when she addressed the students.

As part of her introduction, the Head of School said something I had heard him say once before, when Cal Ripkin was speaking at our school. Quoting a remark by his own headmaster when he was a sophomore, he said "If you have the chance to see someone who is the best in the world at what they do, you go."

I'm hyper-critical of speakers, and she had some habits that normally bother me. But I found myself inspired in spite of myself. She told an amazing story - her life and career - she got some laughs, and she gave the "marathon = life" metaphor real relevance and depth. She said lots of good things, but one thing in particular stuck with me. She said it in the evening lecture, not to the students. I wish she had repeated it. It has the flavor of an old nugget, but I don't think I'd heard it before - or, at least, she put it in a context that made me listen.

She was talking about goals, short-term, intermediate, and "pie in the sky" goals. And she described "pie in the sky goals" this way: What would you do if you weren't afraid of failing?

Well, I thought about that. And I came home and started a new project.

Also, I'm training to run a half-marathon in May. Still talking my knees into that one.

So, here's to speakers who make an impact.

3 comments:

Sgiggsy said...

She was interesting, wasn't she? I, too, had time to reflect that she didn't precisely say things as I'd have liked--or, I suppose, more to the point, linger over some things and draw them out more as I wished she would. But I still find myself mulling over what she said--I'm particularly intrigued by her repeated use of "selfish," which I'd like to unpack a lot more in terms of what it takes to pursue excellence. She was really good with the students who got to meet with her after the lecture Thurs. She relaxed a bit more in the smaller forum and spoke a little more frankly about some things. And I think John's right: if you have a chance to hear someone who is the best at what they do, even if it's a harpsichordist, you should go. Oh, and I'm glad you're going to the half marathon. I really wish I could. . .

Roderick said...

"What would you do if you weren't afraid of failing" is one of my favorite questions. I've used that one for years and I think it has a wonderful way of getting right to a place of clarity in what's important. My other favorite is the old standby: "If you knew you were going to die in 5 years what would you do differently". When you ask both of those questions and you get a similar answer, you really know you're on to something!

Mr. F said...

Roderick, I thought of you when she said, it actually. I don't know if I've heard you say it, but I sure does sound like you.

sgiggsy: Interesting how we take some of the same and some different things. I don't remember how she used "selfish." I'm curious, though.