Monday, May 12, 2008

A Letter to the Cast and Crew of Tater Tots


Went to see the Lunch Lady: Tater Tots of Love this weekend. This is the third time I've seen it, the second that I've not directed, and the first that I wasn't playing keyboards.

Here's a letter I wrote to the cast and crew:

Dear Larry, Cast, Crew, and Staff of Lunch Lady: Tater Tots of Love,

ANTHONY DAVID: I’m giving you my heart. I’m giving you my soul.

With extreme upward inflection
AUDIENCE: Awwwwww.

Yours was the third production of this show. With dress rehearsals, tech, and multiple performances for each, I’ve sat through my fair share of the bizarre, ridiculous, and somehow touching events that happen at that mundane but supernatural high school. But Saturday night was the very first time I got to sit back and just watch. I sat there with my family, no keyboard in front of me, trying to be inconspicuous, and I watched the show.

I had a great time. Congratulations. And thank you.

The experience of watching characters of my imagination come to life is a nerve-wracking, exhilarating, rewarding experience that I never once stopped enjoying. It was a terrific gift that you gave to me. Most of the time, words on pages stay there. But these got up and walked around, emoted, empathized, yelled and sighed and screamed and inhaled and laughed (malevolently, even), and had sets and props and costumes and lights and all the things that they always wanted.

You gave them your heart. You gave them your soul.

There are so many little moments I’d like to point out, but I fear neglecting the many by mentioning the few. I was watching closely, with eyes wide open. My daughter said she spent most of the show sneaking peeks at me, enjoying my reactions.

How weird it must feel to wrap a show knowing that you’ll return to it soon, for an even bigger adventure. I regret that I can’t join you in Scotland. And I regret not knowing you better. It’s a touchy thing to me, figuring out how close or far away to be – and I blew it with this one. How did that time slip by so fast? But I accept Larry’s invitation to be around when you start rehearsals in July, if only for selfish reasons. You seem like such a fun, dedicated group, and I’m missing out by not being around. Plus, these characters you’re creating on stage? I like them. I didn’t realize until Saturday night how much I miss them.

I hope you are enjoying this Monday-after, with jokes in the halls, congratulations from teachers and peers, and that weird “and now what” feeling when you realize you don’t have rehearsal. But mostly I hope that you are satisfied with a job very well done. My relationship with this play is a unique one, and I admire and appreciate your stewardship.

Thanks,
S

The most creative thing I've done since the last entry:
I've started putting together a film for incoming freshmen.

The least creative thing I've done since the last entry:
Cleaned our room. Some.

Stuff that helped:
Seeing the show made me want to write again.

Stuff that hindered:
May is incredibly busy. There's been no time.

Current project:
The film, and "Ring. Nobody Home," which has gone untouched for a week now.

Next project:
Current projects feel like next projects.

Guitar?:
Nope.

What I should be reading these days:
Student essays.

What I'm actually reading these days:
Karamazov

Today I recommend:
This article in the Times points out lots of what I get wrong when recording.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so maybe this made me tear up a little bit.